The uniform is a key trait of cadet life:
CAP promotes teamwork and high standards of personal conduct by granting cadets the privilege of wearing an Air Force-style uniform. The uniform and the related traditions of rendering military customs and courtesies distinguish cadets from ordinary youth. These military aspects of cadet life are important motivators. Every activity should allow cadets to wear their uniform and properly render military customs and courtesies. -CAPR 52-16, 1-3
There are two main uniforms in the cadet program. These are the dress "blues" uniform and the camouflage "BDUs."
- Uniform items may be purchased through a variety of sources. The official source for CAP insignia and uniforms is Vanguard. Shop with the at vanguardmil.com, (800) 221-1264.
- If you're near an Air Force installation, you can buy uniform garments (but not CAP insignia) at the Exchange or base thrift store.
- Speak to your unit leaders about local options, too. Sometime the squadron has a "supply closet," and military surplus stores may be another option.
- Cadets will also need appropriate athletic clothing for physical fitness. Check with your local leaders for inform.
GOALS & GUIDING PRINCIPLES of the CURRY BLUES VOUCHER
The Curry Blues Voucher provides Cadet Airmen with a voucher for $100 towards the purchase of the "blues" uniform.
In 2015, the overall cadet uniform program was modified to deliver faster service to cadets, ensure all needy cadets had access to funding, increase the variety of sizes available, and ensure CAP is a good steward of the taxpayer's dollar. Cadets earn their voucher by completing Achievement 1, the Curry Achievement. Still, to ensure CAP's limited uniform funds are available to all cadets, the Curry Blues Voucher requires cost-sharing with families. A full "blues" uniform costs about $150, so families are asked to contribute the difference above the first $100. After a thorough search for the best possible business partner, CAP selected Vanguard as the Curry Blues Voucher's vendor. Cadets and families tell us they receive "Amazon-class service" from Vanguard and their Curry Blues Voucher.
Cadets may use their vouchers to purchase items relating to the "blues" uniform, including:
- Blues garments: shirts, trousers, skirts
- Flight cap
- Belt and buckle
- Necktie or tab
- Insignia: airmen chevrons, flight cap device, blue 3-line nameplate, curry ribbon, ribbon holder